1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asthma... long long time ago

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by Nick Ward, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

So...

Starting out on the great Scuba journey - and may possibly be jumping the gun a little bit, but just seen on the BSAC medical declaration you need to say whether you've had asthma...

Does this mean *ever* - I'm guessing so due the wording.

That would mean I need to say yes to a condition that the doctor thinks I *may* have had - in a very mild form, over 20 years ago (I'm very young for my age ;) ) - and have subsequently been told I dont have any more when getting signed off for something else 10 years or so ago.

Just wanted to be sure I really needed to declare it before having to go through the process of getting signed off "officially" again...

Cheers

Nick

2. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

As I understand it, yes if you have ever had asthma you should declare it and get signed off by a "diving doctor" as fit to dive - FWIW under the PADI scheme I got signed of as OK (with no expiry on the medical), so long as there is no change in my condition.

TBH though I suspect that many people who have outgrown childhood asthma simply don't declare it - fine in the UK but could cause problems if you have an incident abroad and your insurance refuses to pay up :eek:

If you do need a medical, don't go to your GP as it needs to be done by a "diving Doctor". Off the top of my head, local(ish) to you there is Margaret Clamp in Nottingham or Midlands Dive Chamber in Rugby.

Nick Ward likes this.
  3. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

cool - thanks :)

Nice to know there's no expiry - that was the bit that was bugging me... I dont mind declaring once, and getting signed off once - its a cost worth paying... but when I read through, i looked like it would need to be done annually, and that would have been a tad annoying lol

thanks again

Nick

4. Jenkins

Officially yes I think it is supposed to be done regularly (every 3 years I think?), and I may have just been lucky with a doctor who was willing to sign me off subject to no change in my condition.
    TBH I would recommend contacting MDC for advice, really helpfull guys and will be fully up to date on current medical/diving medical facts.

5. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

I'll have to visit Sheffield then... ;)

6. Jenkins

I wouldn't bother. I have always gone to Nottingham for asthma medicals - and TBH I'm not 100% certain about the date thing, so don't quote me on it.
    I do know for certain that MDC gave me an unnrestricted medical certificate for regarding returning to diving after my bend.

7. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

Yeah - Sheffields probably a tad far for a docs visit anyway lol, and as I often work out of the Notts office, it makes sense to give them a try :)

8. Roy

Roy Active Member

As I understand it BS-AC want a declaration annually. (Could be wrong)

9. Roy

Roy Active Member

Copied from the BSAC site:

"The self declaration system
    Membership of BSAC requires all divers to complete a medical self-declaration form on joining and annually when re-joining. Also if a medical condition arises between these times, it is necessary to use this process.
    Members can download a Self Declaration Form from this page.
    Should a member be required to visit a Referee for examination because of having to answer 'Yes' to one of the questions on the self-declaration form, they should obtain a copy of BOTH the Referee's Examination form AND the Referee's certificate. The form has the same questions but this time with tick boxes and a section for additional examination criteria.
    The candidate should complete section required and then take the form for their examination. If the examination is completed successfully the Referee will complete and sign the certificate and a copy of this should be given to the Diving Officer."