1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asthma and diving

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Iain Denham, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Now I know I need to go and see a dive doctor and not take any notice of online forum non-doctor advice however I have just been diagnosed with mild allergic type asthma and will be on as the nurse described it "baby doses".

Any one have experience/knowledge of asthma and diving?

2. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah and what you have is the least invasive kind.

Cold induced is bad IF you dive in cold climes.
    Exercise induced is bad as we will inevitably have to fin harder at some point
    Stress induced is bad, harder to breathe + evermore elevated breathing rate etc.

All the above restricts airflow and could on ascent cause a problem, hence the
    restrictions.

But allergies are different as the cause is often known and this can be avoided.
    I have dust-house mite allergy and not great with house dust which luckily you
    don't get underwater :) On the odd occasion it hits I use a Ventolin, but with air
    being filtered and even better with Nitrox, chances of contamination from the usual
    suspects being around are slim.

Still need to be a bit savvy though and if going through a phase even with medication
    cut the dive back and don;t look at doing anything to heavy. A surprisingly large
    number of divers have Asthma.

Iain Denham likes this.
  3. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Cheers for that Tel, I will have to see whether I can get some tests done to find what the allergy is.