1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apeks WTX system for compactness and travelling?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Oxymoron, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

I've acquired too much buoyancy control gear which is not oriented towards the diving I now do -
    (i) top-end but bulky recreational BCD which I bought for deeper or more challenging recreational diving, from shore operators or from my own space-challenged sailing boat. Unfortunately it takes up far too much space on the boat and is heavy for travelling..
    (ii) lightweight travel recreational BCD which I bought to be tight/light/compact on my boat and is great for long-haul trips but not confidence inspiring for deeper recreational dives.
    (iii) DIR backplate/wing for tech OC doubles which I bought for both long-haul tech-trips and on my space-challenged boat when visiting tech shore operators.

I'm tempted by the Apeks WTX system to replace the lot. But having only briefly seen the WTX modular set up on another diver I'm a bit unsighted. So if I sell all of the above and buy:

(i)Apeks light-weight travel backplate
    (ii)Apeks safe-weight system
    (iii) Apeks single-tank bladder
    (iv) Apeks double-tank bladder

Am I going to be better off (obviously not financially!) but from a diving point of view? I'm thinking that the backplate and empty bladders will pack down very flat and compact on my boat and in a suitcase for long-haul prisoner class travel, but can still show up for DIR tech diving?

So just how compact are the Apeks bladders when fully deflated and rolled up? Are they a big space saver over a conventional high-end recreational BCD?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Backplates don't cost much so have both stainless and aluminium with one piece harnesses. Two wings, one 40lb/18kg double/twin doughnut and another single 30lb/14kg. And a single tank adapter with two or three weight pockets.

Then you have something for pretty much every diving circumstance that will fold up reasonably small for a locker and will be light enough for travelling.

I've only ever seen the Apeks wings at a dive show, but they look pretty good.

Personally I'd hold out for a nice second hand set... Just like the one @timmyg is selling!

Or, something from the rive gauche... sidemount! Theory goes it's a single wing/harness (e.g. Xdeep Stealth Tec) which you throw in weight and hang tins. When you arrive at a recreational place you say "I'll have two of them please" and put on your cam bands and voila, redundancy, super trim and plenty of gas. Better still it's soooo much lighter to lug single tins around.

3. JasonP

JasonP Member

I've got a wtx d30. It's a great wing. It is built to last forever rather than for lightweight. It also has a steel power inflator you could beat someone to death with. But it's probably only a kilo more and my previous travel wing, a dive rite travel, actually popped.on the surface in Egypt and I had to climb into a rib with all my kit on.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

You already have a wing and backplate, just keep that and add a single wing to it for recreational dives