1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apeks Regulators xtx50/DST vs xtx100/FST

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Mungostrap, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Mungostrap

Mungostrap New Member

Hey so I have decided to update my regs, and have been really splitting hairs between these two set ups.

I was planning on getting two xtx50's with a DST first stage, and miflex hoses for my regulators set.
    The diving I do is mostly UK based, single tank, but I do plan on twinset/sidemount and cave diving in a few years.

I was about to go with the xtx50's when I realised I can get a deal that gets me 2X xtx100s and a FST first stage for the same price but with rubber hoses.

From all the research I have done, the two regs perform the same and the only difference is cosmetic, however a lot of this info was 10 years old.

The advice I am looking for is, is there any performance difference between the regs? How does the FST do with hose routing for sidemounts/twinsets?

I feel like it would be crazy not to buy the "More expensive" model for the same money. But the xtx50/DST seems to be the trusted model among a lot of divers.

2. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd go for the DST's as IMO they offer more variety in hose routing can even add a 5th port and
    if you run them vertical, horizontal or angled, they still just look right.

Also with some fittings the two LP ports are too close on the same side with the DST can use
    the two LP ports with the wider gap and as it's a swivel that's easy :)

The FST on the other hand looks a bit clumsy to me, the square lump doesn't sit well with the
    rest of the round body.

As for seconds never needed more than a 40, but have gone for the odd 50 for gas safety, but
    100? Nah.

Mungostrap likes this.
  3. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

I started with a DST & XTX 50 with XTX40 octopus then when I went twinset bought a second DST & XTX50, this time the DST had the 5th port fitted and I had the 5th port retro fitted to the original DST which makes them ideal for twinsets. I have looked on the Apeks website and cannot see any justification for buying anything more expensive than the XTX50

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mungostrap likes this.
  4. Mungostrap

Mungostrap New Member

I do like the DST and the DS4, and they seem to be the reliable got to for a lot of divers with the XTX50.

I was just wondering is there any reason to take the xtx100/FST when it is the same price. Other than cosmetics they seem to be the same reg.
    Not many people seem to use them, so it is hard to find out how the hose routing works with the angled ports.

5. splinter

splinter Active Member

I have the FSTs on my twinset with ATX100 second stages. They route ok. The DST with the fifth port look like a neater solution, but there's nothing wrong with the FSTs. I have DSTs on my stages with an ATX 40 on one and ATX 50 on the other. I can't tell any difference between any of them, they all breathe the same as far as I can tell. The only reason I got the FSTs was I got them second hand for a great price. Buying new I'd get DS4 and ATX40s.

I'll try and remember to take a photo of the FSTs on my twins that shows how they route.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'm currently in Spain on our annual holiday and doing some diving too. This is all recreational single tank stuff. I normally dive with a twinset with Apeks Tec3s which are to all intents and purposes the same as DS4s. First stages are XTX50s.

I've made up my single tank reg set twice. Firstly, I used a DST first stage because ”it offers the best hose routing”. Oh really... Unlike my Scubapro Mk25 first stages, the FST turret cannot be turned around as the hoses snag on the DIN ferrel (the ring you use to tighten the DIN screw into the cylinder).

So bloody pointless, I swapped the first stage for a DS4 which is absolutely perfect for the job and doesn't have the additional failure point of the turret.

The other use of the DST was as a stage regulator. Alas this fails as the HP hose outlet comes out at the wrong angle.

So I'm not a fan of the DST - fails in two scenarios. The (cheaper) DS4 is much better.

Now for the xxx50 second stages.

The only difference, aside from price, is that knob thing. This is increases the breathing resistance. Why? Aside from playing around on a scooter, under what circumstances would you *ever* want to make breathing harder?

Conclusion; marketing bollocks.

ATX40s are fantastic regs. Reliable, strong, cheap... what's not to like.

So, why do I use Tec3s and XTX50s... because I got them cheap (£300 for the set). Knowing what I now know, I'd buy DS4s and ATX40s every time. £159 each set plus hoses from Just Apeks.

7. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Weird i've used DST's for at least 25 years on every config going and not once had a problem.,

The DST ports are rotated to whatever position you want first then the correct hoses added. Once set
    no need to rotate again. If you don't want to use the larger port just blank it off.

DST has two HP ports unlike the DS4, which makes the latter not so good with iindies.

Size and ports. Exhaust ports on ATX are pat of the main body while on the XTX can add
    a separate larger exhaust port. Older like the TX40 were larger anyway along with a larger
    exhaust. The smaller reg can be a bit of a pain if using a camera as it can put bubbles iin he
    face.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I was really surprised that hoses in the DST turret snagged the main DIN ferrel. Definitely couldn't rotate it past any of the attached hoses -- which in the case of this recreational config, meant all four holes/ports were used.

It's fine when being used as a stage reg, but then there's only one port used so it can be rotated in either direction. Unfortunately the HP ports are angled outwards, so the short 6" HP hose has to be folded in half, which is a very severe bend so the gauge ends up at an odd angle. I'm going to try a little Miflex hose to see if that's a more flexible option.

9. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Why are you rotating them though?
    Idea of the turret is to be able to move it into the best to position and then add the hoses to suit.
    I use DST's vertical for singles and almost horizontal for twins, hoses get swapped to suit the best
    for what i'm doing.

Mostly the cause of any snag is a stupidly big sleeve like on the Scubapro hoses and put two of those on an FST
    and you can't even do them up!

My stage hose has a bend, been like that for a fair few years with no probs :)

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Didn't even consider it would snag when I screwed in all the hoses. Then discovered I needed to turn the turret 180 degrees, and it wouldn't! So undid two hoses, rotated it, then did them up.

Slept on it overnight then thought that a DS4 would be better anyway as one less thing to go wrong, so re-assembled the hoses on a DS4.

Keep thinking of flogging off my pair of Scubapro Mk25s, but these have the fifth end port on the turret so might be good for a sidemount reg set.

11. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

I use DS4's with ATX 40's. They work well.

I'm tempted by the Mk25's because they position the hoses better with my twins. I just don't like the tight bends you get using DS4's.

So @Wibs you thinking of selling? You won't need them on that rebreather you know you want.

Do they do sidemount ccr?

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

:)

Does anyone know the price of the 5th port conversion for an DST? When doing that sidemount course I noticed they were using TechLine "DST" type first stages. Seem almost a copy of the DST, but come with the 5th port.

I'll keep the DST for now. Might find a friend for it as a sidemount reg set -- not overly keen on the 'open' holes on the ScubaPro Mk25s. Much prefer the Apeks kit TBH.

13. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

From memory it was about £80 to add the 5th port to one I already had then I bought a second with the 5th port already attached. Personally I think the hose routing is better than with the Tek3 as everything ends up pointing in the right direction rather than just straight down

14. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Just looking at 4th Element, the standard DST is £215 or £243 with the 5th port already fitted.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Struth! £80 is a lot for adding what should have been there in the first place.

Glad I kept the Mk25s

16. Tewdric

Tewdric Member

DSTs with fifth ports do give lovely hose routing on a twinset. I have an FSR as well and there is no difference in performance. The latter have replaceable HP seats though whereas a DST need a new body piece if the HP seat gets damaged.

I would recommend DSTs.