1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apeks DS4 leaking

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Graysyid, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Hi all

Excuse my ignorance, but when i last used my Apeks ds4 i could hear air escaping from what sounded like between the main housing and the black plastic bit next to it (which is a bit loose) when i turned the air on. After turning it back off and on again it sealed itself.

Had this happen a couple of times and wondered how to tighten it up? I'm using Din and not a yolk adaptor.

2. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

the DIN wheel part is screwed into the main body of the reg by inserting an allen key into the fitting. I've seen these come loose and leak before (usually when people find the wheel difficult to unscrew so they twist on the body of the reg). Just insert the right size allen key and nip it up gently.

There is an O ring inside there which might be leaking slightly.

3. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Cheers nick, i seem to remember now having an issue with unscrewing my regs now you mention it, the Geordie skipper called me a southern softy lol. Just gave it a twist and see if it works.

NickPicks likes this.
  4. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

They do sometimes seem to "stick" on once they've been pressurised. I'm not sure if this is that there's still a bit of pressure behind them pushing the threads out slightly - mine sometimes give a little hiss as I unscrew them, even though I've depressurised the second stages.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

As @NickPicks said, there's the Allen key in the cylinder 'DIN' O-ring which sometimes loosens. You can feel the 'nose' of the connector wobble a bit.

6. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

While you’ve got the reg and Allen keys in front of you, you might as well take the DIN thread bit right off and have a look at the gubbins inside.

(please excuse my very technical terminology)

7. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If the DIN stem becomes loose (which it can do if you twist the first stage body) then air will leak. Don’t just tighten the DIN stem as this can pinch the o-ring. Undo it (6mm Allen key off the top of my head), re-sit the o-ring, push the conical filter in the DIN stem, then slide the first stage over the top & do up. Afterwards nip it tight with the Allan key.

If the o-ring looks flat rather than round, drop me a PM & I can bung you a few in the post if you want.

If it’s really an issue, depending where you are in Essex I’ll be in Ipswich next weekend.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

#7 timmyg, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Tim is such a helpful guy, always offering help like this to others

timmyg likes this.
  9. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

Not to mention creating an excellent series of blog postings on how to do everything from tying on a boltsnap to setting up a complete twinset.

timmyg and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  10. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Cheers guys

I've been absent for a while as I've been deployed overseas, I've got a couple of months in the UK and then I'm away again until the end of July. & when I'm not I have to do single parent childcare on top of my day job as SWMBO works in a hospital.

Funnily enough I've over a dozen blogs part written including more how to's, it's just finding the time to finish & publish (replying to this at midnight, still got washing to do & I'm up at 0600 - but enough of my life story).

TG

Nick Ward, NickPicks and Wibble like this.