1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apeks ATX40/DS4 is this fine?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Sandro, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Sandro

Sandro Member

Hi Guys,

Under your suggestion we have bought two Apeks ATX40/DS4 and we had the opportunity to try them out today, I have two question for you:

1) The dive centre said that these are not connected correctly as the Apeks logo needs to be upside down in order to keep the Second stage and Octopus on the correct side of the BCD.

[​IMG]

As you can see if I keep the logo up then the second stage and octopus would go on the left (wrong) side of the BCD, can you shed some light for me on this?

2) On both our sets if we keep the (sorry I call it in my way) "flow regulator" on the + both our sets start free flowing like crazy, however keeping down to middle or back to - they work fine.

If I can ask your help guys, besides these two issue they worked okay underwater along with the two Cressi Travel Light BCD (we bought those eventually for space reasons) and they are amazingly comfortable and you can store them in a drover really which is what we need.

Thank you!

By the way, it is nice to dive around without being on your knees on a platform :D :D :D

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The logo is beneath a clear flexible disc which seals the piston from the water (DS4 = Dry Sealed with 4 LP ports).

It's rigged that way round, i.e with the logo down, so the single HP port exits over your left shoulder. Your two regs exit over your right shoulder. The one or two BCD hoses will exit over the left shoulder, one for the BCD, one for the drysuit (if necessary).

That looks as if yours is connected correctly (assume the yellow's the octopus and the other that side is the primary)

3. Sandro

Sandro Member

Hi Wibble, so the way is assembled is the way it should be with the Logo facing down towards the cylinder when in?

Any idea about the freeflow with the valve fully open (on the second stage / octopus)?

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yes.

Not sure about the free flow.

Sandro likes this.
  5. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It's meant to freeflow :)

The regs are setup so that the resistance level on the side must be in the - position.
    This is pushed fully away from you. On deeper dives the work of breathing can get
    harder, so you can de-tune it to get a better breathe by pulling it towards you into
    the + position.

If you jump in with the octopus in the + position even the slightest pressure on the
    purge will start a freeflow. This is why part of any buddy check should always be to
    make sure that both are in the - position at the start.

If it does freeflow simply put your finger over the mouthpiece between the two bite
    lugs, it will then stop :)

Sandro likes this.
  6. Sandro

Sandro Member

Thank you :)

Maybe the diving centre did not know about this particular model as they told me it was wrongly assembled :)

7. Sandro

Sandro Member

What I would do without you Tel!!!!!!!

Ps. we always do our checks, I fly airplanes (my other hobby) and I do everything with a checklist for now a few years :) that's who we found out about the freeflow when in + position.

Besides that it was a good suggestion I think they were working very well in water, could not find any difference between these and the Scubapro used in training (at least not with normal use).

8. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Read the manual probably :p

9. Sandro

Sandro Member

If it didn't come on DVD maybe.... I do have a gaming PC and I do not use DVD unit :D

10. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

The manual is available online as a pdf.

11. Sandro

Sandro Member

Yep I have eventually found it downloaded it and read it :)

12. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

What does it say? :p

13. Sandro

Sandro Member

A lot of useful (some fundamental) info really... and yep it is meant to be like that (upside down and free flow on + ) :p