1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP 'crack bottle' SMB and Kent Tooling 120m reel

Discussion in 'Personal Ads' started by Wibble, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

#1 Wibble, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

If you ever get round to ccr I bet you buy these again.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

On a classic off topic...

I went up to the dive show in Coventry and came across a Lungfish rebreather. Never heard of them before. Was shown around the unit which is wonderfully built; the whole unit's made out of a superbly machined block of Delrin. Reminded me of Ducati rear swinging arms. Yes, strange things impress me.

Have you heard of them? Made in Cambridge and going through their CE approval process.

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

What kind of price are the selling the Lungfish for? If it’s up among the top runners in terms of cost then it’ll need to bring something new to the table. Just being as god as is no good, it either needs to beat the establishment on price for the same performance of beat on performance for the same price.

A guy that was on my fundies class goes to the same club as the guy behind the lungfish and said he was always in the pool test diving it.

5. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Can’t say much about it that you wouldn’t of seen at the show. That side mount accessory man Andrew Goring has been involved testing and developing some stuff for it , mainly seen that on FB , appreciate wibs doesn’t do that.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's very small and lightweight 14 kg ready to dive or 9kg ready to fly. I know little of rebreathers, but there's a lot of that which just looks right in terms of the engineering. It should encourage flat trim, be flood tolerant, includes a CO2 and pressure sensor. It's got one of the smallest DSVs I've seen. The lungs are easily accessible under the unit for cleaning.

In my quick google it's more of a recreational rebreather, not destined for deep cave penetration, but for travelling. Apparently it's also going to be cheap once it's passed its CE by July, less than an inspo.

It's interesting as it has two 2 litre cylinders transversely mounted in the small of the back, below the unit. Tins can be mounted in the traditional location beside the unit (or leaving space for a decent suit heater battery!)

Impressed me anyway. That it's very significantly less expensive than a Revo or JJ also impresses.

7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Yep, essential item with CCR, the only viable alternative being a CO2 item.

8. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

What makes you say that? I’ve only just started down that route, but can’t see a reason not to continue sending it up with an inflator hose.

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

That would probably be ok too if you are referring to a separate suit inflate cylinder. it’s being a separate source to your diluent that’s important

10. Dave Whitlow

I find the idea of disconnecting a suit/bc inflater underwater for something as routine as sending up and SMB is a problem in waiting. I have seen enough folk struggle to connect/reconnect these things to exclude that from my planning options. Only last year I recall doing a simple dive in Portland harbour with a buddy who did exactly that.

If it isn't reconnected before ascending there is always the risk you might need to add gas (things do go wrong) and that can introduced needless stress.

If it is reconnected then this delays departure from the bottom and this adds decompression obligation (about 2 minutes per minute at 60m).
    Also, delaying departure from the bottom excludes the option of using the rising SMB to aid the ascent to the first stop.

Yes, it is an option but, in my opinion it is a poor option.

Doomanic, Tribal Chestnut and Vanny like this.
  11. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Totally agree. Keep it stand alone. Not from suit , dil, or bailout.

12. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Thanks guys. Good to understand your thinking. I learnt that lesson on a course with Mark Powell when he gave me a wing inflator failure on the 6m stop after I had forgotten to reconnect my DS hose - cue me orally inflating the wing to maintain my buoyancy. I now use a spare hose, which seems to get around the problem, though I'm not convinced with the routing on my DS4 (out of the top), however that will improve when I get a separate suit bottle rigged up.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Additional inflator hose from bailout tin for sending up the bag?

14. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Bailout regs will have spare direct feeds to plumb in off board gases. I would rather not use them though for a dsmb in case of any kind of free flow / failure of potentially vital gas.

15. Dave Whitlow

why add the complexity, and waste bailout gas, when you can use something designed for purpose?

that said, I do have LP hose on all bailout and deco bottles.

16. AndyW

AndyW Member

I have a spare LP hose on my bailouts so that I can plug it into my suit or unit in the event of a failure. I wouldn't use it for anything more routine than that.

I know people that run their drysuit and/or inflate bags with bailout. It uses hardly any gas but the cumulative effect is that they end up starting dives with a less than full bailout cylinder. Obviously they're not keen to pay full whack to top up that little bit of gas. Before you know it, they're jumping into the water with a bailout at 150bar.

I like my CO2 dsmb but if you're contemplating a CCR then I'd keep hold of that bag and reel.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  17. nickb

nickb Active Member

I'd say keep the reel but flog the bag and get a CO2 one. The KT reels are somewhat heavy* but combined with the AP bag it's a real lump.

The best bags IMO used to be the Aquatec ones but sadly Ben had to close the business down. The KT ones are very good and also have an oral inflate as a backup.

Of course, using CO2 bags does entail an additional expense but I buy the cartridges in bulk and they work out at about 60/70p.

I've been at about 60m with someone not a million miles from this very thread who forgot to charge his AP cylinder and had all sorts of fun trying to inflate the bag with a second stage. If my CO2 bag doesn't go off for any reason, I always have a couple of spare cartridges in my dry suit pocket.

* the weight of the reel can be mostly offset by leaving a little gas in the bag when it's rolled-up.

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

As an aside, when I'm doing a deep(ish) dive with higher helium content in my back gas, I'll use my suit inflate. As my twinset LH reg has a suit inflation hose fitted, I will Gaffa tape it to the SPG hose, also on the LH reg. I've dived like that with two stages of various sizes on the LHS and find the inflator hose doesn't become an embuggerance sticking down past the SPG.

The best of this is I can use the spare inflator hose for blowing up bag(s). Its long, very easy to grab and easy to use. By doing it this way I can have two (or three!) full-size SMBs rolled up in my pockets attached to long spools. As a bubble-blower, there's loads of gas available. Should it go titsup -- e.g. Schraeder valve explode -- I'm on my way up and could do a shutdown on the left post without loosing much gas. As the hose is attached to the SPG, it's a piece of duff to re-stow, just clip it off as normal.

@nickb - good idea about adding a little gas to the bag to offset the weight of it all. Does make it bigger though.

#18 Wibble, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019