1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone diving soon?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Apr 10, 2019.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Welcome Flobberdob - I saw Bill and Ben the first time around in the 1950s, you probably in the re-run. Happy and not so happy memories of Stoney - I found dry suits hard in the beginning. You are tempting fate "waiting for the last bit", there is no such thing in diving, always something else that you find necessary. Enjoy your diving.

As ever, we have forum creep, so to bring it back to the title, I'm joining MS Halton in Ullapool on Saturday for a week going South to some Skye sites, subject to wind and weather. The boat plan shows a nuclear reactor; think that the skipper has a sense of humour as it is an old Danish trawler.:geek:

splinter and Flobberdob like this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Kent. Lots of great wrecks down there, mostly out of Dover. Alas the Thames Estruary isn't so good.

The drysuit will make a lot of difference to your diving. If it's your first membrane suit you'll need a few quarry/lake dives to get sorted with the buoyancy, especially deeper dives.

Dive kit gets addictive. Second-hand for most of it is generally better for the wallet.

3. Flobberdob

Flobberdob New Member

When I did my open water I also did drysuit at the same time so only dived outside in a drysuit. Been using school kit but really wanted my own so I could go and do more.
    I have bought some 2nd hand kit, cylinders, wing/harness plus some of the smaller bits n pieces but wanted new regs and drysuit.

looking forward to getting my drysuit :) hoping to get it for my trip next week but not sure it will be finished in time.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's worth calling Dennis to confirm your delivery date. Are you going down to pick it up?

(A few of us on here have Predator suits. I like mine)

Which options did you go for? Kubi dry gloves?

5. Flobberdob

Flobberdob New Member

I’ll be calling him tomorrow to see how he’s getting on. Then yes, once it’s ready I’ll drive down to get it.

Yes, went for the Kubi dry gloves and silicone seals.

It was after reading a lot of the threads on here that lead me to predator (I was lurking and reading) so thanks everyone for advice :)

Wibble likes this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Good choice:)

Underclothes next!

7. Flobberdob

Flobberdob New Member

Already have a Weezle undersuit that has kept me nice n toasty so far.

All I really need is a torch, a cutting tool of some kind and a dsmb.

Not too sure which way to go with those at the moment?

After that it’s extras, maybe a camera in the future etc.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ezycut line cutter.

Get a good quality 'backup' torch to start -- this or this to get started.

DSMB must be big to be seen on the surface. Need to choose open or closed bottom (open tends to fill with water on the surface!); inflation method (hose, regulator, self inflate). Iprefer a closed one with hose inflation. Then the reel vs. spool (reels are easier in the beginning, spools need some practice but are small) -- I'd suggest you get a second hand plastic reel such as the MGE to start with.

SMBs and deployment techniques tend to be a popular discussion subject with lots of opinions.

Flobberdob likes this.
  9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

A personal view on cameras - taking pictures or videos is distracting and you tend to be looking for the next image rather than enjoying your diving. Also, getting good results takes practice and serious money if you want something comparable to what is simple out of the water. I bought a GoPro equivalent for a holiday in Barbados. It recorded what was down there, but the results were nothing like the images that my brain was recording at the time. I flooded it on the next trip and won't be getting another one.

Flobberdob likes this.
  10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Flobberdob likes this.
  11. Flobberdob

Flobberdob New Member

Thanks for your advice.

Many thanks for the torch/dsmb links, I’ll have a good look at them later.
    I’ve already got a 2nd hand reel so that’s a start, I picked up a custom divers reel at a good price from eBay.

The camera is a way off yet. I still need to spend more time in the water enjoying the diving for what it is.

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Computer & BCD next!

Cheap and basic Suunto, must do Nitrox. Don't get their more expensive ones -- I'm sure you've seen many threads on that!

BCD definitely second hand for less than £100 and flog it for the same or more when we get you on to a wing & backplate:) Do not get an "i3" (not common, but useless).

Flobberdob likes this.
  13. Flobberdob

Flobberdob New Member

Already have both. Bought a basic computer when I did my AOW.
    As for BCD. Soon after finishing AOW I thought about what kit to buy. Didn’t want to get a load then have to sell again a year later.
    After seeing and talking to some instructors at the club I decided to go sidemount and did sidemount course pretty soon after (think I did a less than a handful of dives back mount.

I bought a 2nd hand wing/harness/cylinders etc and have used it all several times now, much more comfortable.
    Pretty much sorted for most of the kit to get me going, or will be when I get the dry suit, apart from the smaller items I mentioned previously.

14. Flobberdob

Flobberdob New Member

Oh, and some rock boots........

15. Suffolkmatireland

I am off to the Azores in about 2 weeks for a fortnight, got 2 dives booked so far on the first island, so when we get to Pico i will try and sort some more out

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Excellent. I'm curious as to how sidemount will positively affect your skills development as you progress, given that you're now fully exposed to what some would call "technical diving". For example flat trim, redundancy, etc.

Any specific reason for choosing sidemount? What agency was the sidemount taught to?

17. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Too many people talking it up on the internet is my guess!

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

There's good reasons for diving Sidemount, especially if you're "broken" and don't have the shoulder movement, etc. Will agree that it's a real faff on a dive boat and you loose your pockets, so need a bloody great pouch for your stuff.

19. John F

John F Active Member

I am looking to do some wreck dives east of Brighton but not as far as Dover, can anyone recommend an outfit to go with and best wreck up to 40M depth.
    John.

20. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Not too Far East, dive125 Eastbourne.