1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone diving soon?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Getting quite excited at the prospect of two days of diving in the sea this weekend. Diving out of Portland on Scimitar on Saturday -- do like that boat -- on a wreck plus drift.

Diving on Sunday with a bunch of people out of Littlehampton, which is a first for me. Will be diving with a mate who's "old and broken" with shoulder problems who's doing a sidemount course this week so he can extend his diving as reaching his valves, even when inverted, is a real difficulty for him. So it'll (hopefully) be sidemount heaven on Sunday.

Then there's plenty of other sea dives coming up including some where I can get rid of that lovely helium from the earth's atmosphere. (Still working on moving to a box...)

And then there's Scapa in May. Will be my first time up there; massively looking forwards to that.

So what do the rest of you have coming up in the next couple of months or so?

NickPicks likes this.
  2. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Hopefully a little dive in France next week.

NickPicks likes this.
  3. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

A week in Eyemouth in August.

I need to organise a trip this summer (to complete my Dive Leader course).

It doesn't come under the heading of "soon", but a week in Scapa in October 2020, which I'm also massively looking forward to!

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Bits and bobs for me all in fairly rapid succession.

Ghost Fishing at the end of April
    Ghost Fishing at the beginning of May
    Ghost Fishing mid-May
    Fundies weekend in Portland beginning of June
    Unknown wreck in Portland mid-June
    Scapa mid-June

Unknown wreck will be good, this is a 45m dive so a trimix dive for me and always good to get my numbers up. Barely made my numbers to renew my certification currently which reminds me that I must renew that soon.

Looking forward to Scapa. I've been twice before but was always working so didn't really get the chance to enjoy the wrecks and see things for myself.

#4 jb2cool, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Couldn't make Eccy Delph today, hopefully next week, Ullapool to Skye in May.

6. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Wibble is that your mate training with Michael Thomas.

All my dive gear is packed away in my suitcases. Very excited. Flying to Croatia for 6 days of wreck diving. Also my mate is finishing up his ccr decompression course

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Wibble likes this.
  7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Where about in Croatia are you going any particular wrecks you are looking forward to?

8. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Only my second time there we staying in 45m range for my mates course. But there is 8 of us going so I will probably drop down to some of the deeper stuff. I do like the look of the baron gaush. We are diving with shark diving out there

9. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, Nick does a good job - went out at the end of last month to check my kit.

When I got my proper SCUBA equipment I has 12s of 21/35 I'd been trying to use for ages. It lasted a few months as a diluent bank before it needed a top up.
    I gather @nickb will be up there in May too. If you are on his boat be sure to use sidemount it makes his day ;)
    Might give Chesil a go in the next few days if conditions look favourable. Other than that we have something planned for Easter and after that we'll be out whenever the conditions are favourable.
    I have no plans to travel away from Portland, although we might take the boat to Dartmouth and spend a few days on the Medina. The joys of living by the sea :D

10. John F

John F Active Member

Got two weeks in Cornwall booked in early June, would be nice to get a few in before that.
    Interesting to hear what Littlehampton is like, as it’s not far from me. Would like to get down to Portland an do the M2.
    Just done Goodwood last weekend and got Silverstone this weekend, bloody work getting in the way again.

11. korsakof

korsakof Member

I hope Saturday and Sunday!

I have dived 2 weeks before but the visibility was really bad, 1m. I hope nowadays it’ll be better.

12. splinter

splinter Active Member

Nothing planned in the next few weeks. Hoping to persuade someone to dive over Easter somewhere.

Mid may will be a day at either Dorothea or Wastwater. Not been to wastwater before, apparently it's dark and empty, but my mate reckons it's worth a visit.

June should see the club hard boat in Scarborough come out of hibernation, so diving at least every other weekend, weather permitting.

Later in the year, I've got a weekend in porthkerris, drive back to Sheffield on the Tuesday, then off up to scapa the following Friday for a week. That'll be a test for my aging car! Then back to Oban a couple of weeks later.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

13. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Driving up to Orkney on Tuesday and will be diving from Huskyan until early July

NickPicks and Dave Whitlow like this.
  14. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Staying down in Portland at the mo , been out on the rib for a couple of rides so far this week but not dived due to it being a bit blowy. Sitting here now (10.21am) we are considering a drop in the harbour later today, although there’s bacon to eat yet. I fitted 4 ccr courses in across March so 14 hours of training makes me think I’m dive fit but want salt on my kit! Not much else planned,Croatia in August , but I need to get my act together and book some days up. Might try to Nick a cheeky week in scapa if something comes up.

15. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Didn't Geoff invite you too Croatia next sunday

16. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Probably, he invites me to some exotic stuff that I can’t usually afford time or money :greedy: But I’m there in August anyhoo.

17. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

Croatia is cheap dive location. But Geoff defo likes the exotic locations. The flights were 250 with 60kg of hold luggage

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Six weeks, nice. Good price for the flight too.

It is my mate diving with Mike Thomas. I popped down the to the dive club last night and met up with him. He's like a dog with two dicks now that Mike's sorted out his sidemount. He was facing the possibility of giving up twinset diving due to his shoulder problems -- couldn't reach behind even when the twinset inverted. Mike's such a brilliant pragmatic diver who's not just an instructor, but someone who goes diving. Anyway, Mike's definitely got a fan in my mate -- it was wonderful to see him literally gushing with praise for Mike.

So we're diving Sidemount on Sunday, both taking a small stage each to speed up the deco.

Are you assisting? I thought you'd passed your fundies (unlike me :( )

May's trip is on Valkyrie, October's with Huskyan.

Hope you get some better vis. Always random this time of year.[/QUOTE]

19. korsakof

korsakof Member

[/QUOTE]

Where i dive(North of Spain), sometimes we have better months in Spring or Autumn than in Summer. The water in those months are quite cold.

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hoping the water will be above 10 degrees in the Channel this weekend. Passageweather's showing it as 10-12 degrees. Hopefully I can get the suit heater connection changed over on my drysuit if it is -- that's when I know the winter's over!