1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone currently learning?

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by Jinx13, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Jinx13

Jinx13 New Member

Heey, is anyone here currently learning PADI open water? Thought it be nice to work together on it with someone

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

It’s an odd time at the moment with this social distancing virus outbreak stopping the world from doing its stuff.

Open Water, where we all start on our learning odyssey, is one of those courses where you really need to be close to your instructors and their assistants as the classroom and surface elements feature strongly. It’s where you learn the basic skills and the buddy-diving ethic.

Alas, all of this is effectively off limits during the lockdown. I think for once I can speak for all of us and say that we all feel your pain!

it’s looking like some of the lakes and quarries might be opening next week. I doubt if mainstream training will be started before mid July purely because of the need for distancing as courses tend to have several students; six or more is not uncommon. They also generally have a pool component and the pools aren’t open yet.

Hopefully you’ve had your course materials given to you by now. If not, you can buy the PADI Open Water book or CBT course to give yourself some homework. It’s good material and it’s good to have some time to read it and re-read it.

Once done with the OW course, the Advanced Open Water is generally done shortly after.

Good luck!

3. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Wibble, are you recommending taking the AOW course. Seems unlike you

jps likes this.
  4. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

If you have any questions or queries please ask away. There is a great deal of knowledge and experience amongst the members of this forum so ask away

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

All learning's good learning, especially in the early days! But it's not learning per-se that's important, it's constant practice that makes things easier.

My big beef with the "Advanced" Open Water is the name. Great for marketing, but advanced it is not! When I did mine, I thought, yay, I'm an advanced diver now. Couldn't have been further from the truth! It's the Rescue Diver -- provided it's done properly -- that you start to learn what's what.

My biggest shock, by a country mile, was doing the Fundies course (GUE Fundamentals). Scales fell from my eyes to appreciate what good really looks like -- and it most definitely wasn't a DiveMASTER in a Buddha position blowing bubble rings -- it was someone with real control and great skills which I then vowed to emulate. Dunno if I've got anywhere near that skill level over the past 6 years, as there's no GUE people around to play with these days.

It's nice to be finally getting back into the water after all this covid malarkey. Only done 6 dives this year and only one of those on a boat. Booked up for this weekend on a boat for two days, and have others planned. Looks like it's going to be somewhat miserable though with the cabin being out of bounds -- hope it doesn't rain! But it's diving ... Yay!

Now discovered both of my gas analysers have dead oxygen cells :( Waiting on replacements.

What's others doing dive wise?

speed098 likes this.
  6. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

I am supposed to be in Scapa from tomorrow, primarily to look for property but may have had a quick dip off the Churchill Barriers. That is all cancelled though so we are at home until Sept then off to the Broads hopefully for a week of sailing.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I feel your pain. I'd expect the islands to be isolated for some time yet given the power of the message. Are you looking to move there or just with a second home? (Tell me it's private or answer by PM if necessary!)

I was looking at spending this summer going sailing. Quite a good option given that all other forms of leisure are so restricted. Guess what happened... A buyer's finally come forwards and it should all complete in the next few days.

So finally... I'll not be forever blowing bubbles. (Wasn't he Michael Jackson's chimp?) The sod is now getting the training and finding places to practice. At least I can focus on that this year.

8. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

We are considering retiring up there. But fish face has decreed that only Islanders can travel to and fro. However Greasyjet have grounded and Loganair are only taking essential islanders.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nice. Except the winter which I'd imagine to be just like Covid isolation, but less fun.

Am contemplating spending a couple or four weeks up there to see some of the sites as well as diving, etc. Really want to get over to the Old Man and do some wildlife photography.

For any newbies to diving that may have read this far; Scapa Flow in Orkney is a world-class diving location, definitely one of the best in the UK and a real bucket list location. That's what all the training's for!

10. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

We have friends up there who we stayed with this time last year. Thought so much of the place thought we'd go back this year. Decided to go in Summer as the days are longer (about 22hrs of daylight).
    Highland Park Distillery is the place to go. Amongst many others

11. Jinx13

Jinx13 New Member

Thank you I'm so looking forward to actually getting in the water but for obvious reasons I'm going through the book currently. Lots to learn

Thank you, there it lots to learn, I'm currently doing section 3 so half way through I think I'm nervous about the dive tables.

12. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

good news re boat sale, look forward to your ccr journey.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Almost there!

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That there is indeed. But that’s all part of the fun of diving, always something to learn. But for all the effort you’re rewarded by all the amazing things you see and feel.

The dive tables follow a pattern, the deeper you go, the shorter your stay. For Open Water, you’re restricted to 18 metres, so plenty of time available to enjoy your dive.

There are apps available to test your knowledge and help you study. One I’ve used is Scuba Exam. There must be plenty of others.

15. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Quick question. Are dive tables still taught. When I did my Open Water I didn't touch the Tables. It was all based on the electronic version. However Mrs PD learnt using tables and according to her she sweated buckets.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Would expect them to be taught, purely to go through the manual process of looking up the max times and working through multiple dive times.

When I learned we used tables and also used that PADI eRDP (electronic recreational dive planner) calculator thing.

Using tables would also get the same answer for all students without introducing advanced deco topics (e.g. algorithms and gradient factors)

17. snowman

snowman Active Member

I thought I'd heard from someone who's an instructor at a PADI centre near me that they only teach use of a computer now, but I'm not 100% sure.

BSAC still teach tables (which are of course, slightly different to PADI ones!).

M