1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ankle weights

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Graysyid, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Morning

So completed my pool skills on my first drysuit dive last night and the instructor has said I should consider ankle weights. Mainly he noticed when i was venting and putting in air whilst maintaining neutral buoyancy my feet started to rise. Is it just shite technique on my part and if not how do you know what weight on the ankles?

I started off with 10kg on the belt and then added another 2kg in each BCD pocket. Done a bouyancy test at the end (yes it should have been at the start) and was slightly over weighted. He suggested maybe 1.5 kg on ankles

I was diving in a othree Ri2-100(2.1 mil compressed neoprene) and aqualung Axiom BCD.

The boots felt fine and not overly large, just a bugger to get the fins off

2. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

OPINION ALERT... ankle weights are a crutch for poor instructors who don't have time or inclinication to do a proper weight check and properly teach drysuit control... especially when they insist that you ONLY use the drysuit for bouyancy control.

I was told to use them on my training dives 10 years ago. I finished training, took them off and have never put them back, despite a variety of fins and fin types since.

{sits back and enjoys popcorn}

Doomanic and Nick Ward like this.
  3. nickb

nickb Active Member

Totally agree. I don't believe that any divers need ankle weights if they have correctly fitted and weighted kit. The only other factor involved is the human body and that is more or less neutrally buoyant. We all have pretty similar physiology.

4. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

What is the correct answer then? In fairness he said that no one should use the suit for buoyancy and only for squeeze.

5. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

The boots aren't overly massive, I'm a size 11/12 foot and have size 11 boots with XL mares fins. TBH it was struggle to take them off

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Follow your Instructors advice for now and use ankle weights, then as you get more used to the suit
    by playing with trim and the way of using the suit, keep revisiting IF you need them.

In the early stages what matters is if you feel comfortable and if ankle weights achieve that just use
    them. Trouble is that as you become more competent it's easy to make the assumption that you
    still need them and it's often the removal at a later date usually by the insistence from others that
    they are defined as being unnecessary and rubbish - hence the negativity towards them.

7. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Thanks, as you can appreciate the first few dives in a drysuit were strange, although in the pool I found neutral buoyancy so much easier than a wetsuit. I'll be at stoney doing the open water drysuit and then deep speciality straight after. last thing i want is shooting feet first during deep dives. Had no problem with the tuck and roll in the pool, but would rather not have to try it out in an uncontrolled situation if avoidable

8. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That's the key and why the Instructor concentrated on suit for squeeze and warmth only.
    Your BC is a finite space with a known buoyancy, however the drysuit has voids that
    depending on cut can contain air that if not controlled can cause a rapid ascent. While
    you have been shown how to get rid of expanding gas all this is new so best to keep the
    air in the suit to a minimum for now.

That will change though with time and practice and when you feel more confident same as
    the need to revisit IF you need ankle weights you can also play with using suit for buoyancy :)

Graysyid likes this.
  9. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

The other lesson I took from drysuit diving was let the mrs know where i hang the suit (didn't get home till 10pm) She woke up at 5 this morning and thought i'd hanged myself in the shower :)

10. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ha, I often have 20 suits hung upside down on drying racks and it looks like the scene from The Long Good Friday :)

11. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

I find i need ankle weights with my twin set as i have it so far forward for ease of shut downs, i have tried tail weights and have F1 fins none of which make a lot of difference.

using singles so no issues to ankle weights.

12. nickb

nickb Active Member

Are you saying that you have the bands lower than the top of the parallel section? How does that make shutdowns easier? It ought to make them harder.

13. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I used to be very head heavy with my O3 MSF500 suit and a twinset.

Changed the position of the cylinders (moved them down by one hole on the BP) and added heavier fins which made a big difference, although I was still slightly head heavy.

Swapping to a membrane suit with rock boots made a major difference and I am now foot-heavy, however a V weight improves this.

14. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

I felt the most neutrally buoyant i've felt during any dive so far. Once i added the 2kg in each pocket, its the first time i just floated with no need to try and stay off the bottom with my arms and legs

Wibble and Tribal Chestnut like this.
  15. Demmy

Demmy Member

My son has recently completed his PADI JOW course (he’s 12).

He didn’t use ankle weight during training but during his first few post-training dives he was struggling with keeping his feet down during ascent in flat trim and was losing confidence. He has a compressed neo suit so it’s quite naturally buoyant.

I popped on some light 0.5kg ankle weights and we have done 6 dives since without incident - we said when I put them on that they were just for confidence building and he wouldn’t need them all the time.

He’s asked to take them off next dive to get used to diving without them so we’re doing just that.

I don’t believe that ankle weights are needed by any experienced diver; but I think of them as training wheels for a dry suit. Not everyone needs them (I didn’t) but some do, and if that’s the difference between ENJOYING a dive and being terrified of an uncontrolled ascent feet first; then I have no problem with them.

If people feel they need them permanently then that’s up to them, but I subscribe to a theory of only using what you need for a dive and keeping kit streamlined and simple!

Just my 2p worth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  16. JasonP

JasonP Member

If your boots are the right size, you don't need ankle weights. I've had this conversation with not particularly experienced drysuit divers and they.felt their feet were too high, though they were actually lower than mine and they were kicking the bottom up. If you are not used to that posture, it can give you backache but you get used to it and the backache disappears.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  17. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If your boots are the right size most won't need them, but that doesn't mean some still might.
    Up there amongst the biggest dangers to the individual in diving is talking in absolutes.

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

There's little doubt that some people could need ankle weights. However they're seldom seen on experienced divers, and even more rarely seen on divers with flat trim and good finning skills.

I've seen ankle weights on people with poor trim, feet down and kicking up the bottom.

Generally it's sorting out one's kit configuration and a bit of experience with flat trim which removes the need for them.

I wore them for a few dives when I was new to a drysuit. My 'club' seemed to like ankle weights, so it appeared to be the norm on that RIB. A post on this forum made me, errm, rethink this. With hindsight, the forum advice was definitely right - haven't ever worn them since.

TBH they're like training wheels on a pushbike.

Demmy likes this.
  19. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've seen a pair of tech divers with all the trimmings and perfect flat trim, no doubt honed in quarries, who shat themselves on the Countess of Erne.
    So that must mean all divers shit themselves in salt-water.

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Were you in your shark suit again? Must have been the excellent vis shook them to the core!