1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amateur Music Provider

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by pitdiver, Jul 8, 2012.

1. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

It's the in laws' Diamond Wedding anniversary soon and I have been asked to supply music for the event. I am not a DJ but just someone in the family who has a large selection of music. Can anybody recommend a Amp/PA system that I could use with a Laptop and Ipod. Must not not be too expensive. Have thought about this:-http://www.maplin.co.uk/dj-tech-140-watt-portable-pa-system-with-mp3-playback-228045

Has anybody got any other suggestions

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Look into hiring as it may work out cheaper. Most amps will be able to be driven from something like a laptop.

3. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Jason, I was thinking of that but there seems to be a scarcity of hirers in my area (Bedford) that have small rigs to hire. If I wanted a 800-10000 watt set up no problem. But I strongly suspect the party will either be held in the local Village Hall (yes they still do exist) or in a local pub, which does not have a sound system as such. There is a place in Guildford that has just the thing. They are called TruesoundHire I think. They have a small set up to hire for £45 per day but it's too far away. I shall just have to keep looking.

4. Polly

Polly Active Member

5. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

The maplin brochure dropped on my door mat today and they have a full DJ rig on offer this month.
    1 x 4 channel 100W amp (N73HH) - easy to plug in yuor ipod with a headphone to phono cable,
    2 x 300W 10 inch with 4 inch horn speaker cabs (N92FN),
    2 x heavy duty speaker cables (N34FY),
    2 x speaker covers (L67BK). All together for £199.93.
    Cheaper than what you were looking at and a better setup (IMHO).

It doesn't have a microphone but with the £50 you've got left over you could get one.

6. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

7. DaveS

I like the look of the 'astounded' one although it's only 8" drivers. I have a similar set of speakers and they're OK but no more than that. For the price probably the best £:£ of all those mentioned so far.

100W-QTX - This looks to be mono only. You want a stereo kit really. I may be wrong but looking at the images and description everything seems to be mono.

Peavey - nice but not much different to the package that I mentioned earlier from Maplin which is £60 cheaper.

The maplin one at the bottom of these 3 is only single 6.5" speakers so you'll struggle to get much bass through them and the rest of the sound won't be great either.

Personally if I was buying I'd go with the Maplin package I mentioned above (post #5). For £199.99 it's quite a decent little setup for a village hall.

8. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Dave I have a quick look at the Maplins amp you mentioned it appears to be Mono but I may be wrong. I was looking at the DJTech kit as it has USB connectivity and easily transportable and relatively compact. Same with the Astounded setup. I am quite happy to mix sources however it would be nice to have a stereo amp to appreciate the music fully.

9. DaveS

Can't fault you there! I missed that one!