1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aluminium cylinder

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by kevin b, Sep 18, 2019.

1. kevin b

kevin b Member

I am looking to change from a 3 litre steel pony to a 7 litre aluminium cylinder for bigger redundancy & I was wondering do i need to alter my weighting as some say yes & some say no.

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you add/remove any weights when it came to the 3l steel? I dive with the same weighting whether I have just my twinset, the twinset and a single cylinder (ali 7 or ali 80) or even if I have the twinset and two stage cylinders.

4. kevin b

kevin b Member

Knocked 2kg off with pony.

5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I’d maybe put that back on for switching to the aluminium but monitor things and see how you go

kevin b likes this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No. Weighting should be done without any cylinder that could be unclipped and handed off to someone else.

A rear-mounted pony is not removable so could be considered as part of your weighting.

kevin b and jb2cool like this.
  8. kevin b

kevin b Member

Thanks for replies.

9. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

And they are all right :)

So many variables with kit configs, where you fixed the pony vs stage etc, if you can hide behind lamposts or have the profile of a dump truck,
    the list goes on and any opinion is as likely to be right as it is wrong. The ONLY way is to do a decent buoyancy check in the chosen config.

kevin b likes this.