1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aluania Wreck

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Iain Denham, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Don1t normally do these reports but enjoyed the dive so much thought I would share it:

We all met up at Eastbourne Yacht club and after a chat and a bit of banter loaded up on the Channel diver for a 09:15 ropes off.

About an hour later the shot was dropped on to the Bow of the Alunia and the top of the wreck was sitting at 23-25m and the seabed was 35-37m warm and sunny day with a water temp of 17 degrees! Almost tropical!!!!

So we all dropped in to find a stunning wreck with at least 3-4m Viz with shoals and shoals of fish swimming around, found Tompot Blennies popping out of there holes to stare at us all quizzically as if to say what the heck are you doing here! Crab, dead man's fingers some anemones the odd big ling and Pollock (I think). Found the portholes and anchor but we are single tank divers mainly so couldn't stay for long as we got to a mandatory 5 mins deco and I really cant be arsed doing much more than that.

Couple of hours later we were moored over the drift mark (The Royal Sovereign shoals) and after doughnuts supplied by the skipper and some well earn`t coffee we were in again.

We managed nearly an hour on the drift averaging about 12m with viz at about 2-4m with quite a rapid drift and according to the skipper we had traveled a long way! Saw the usual masses of star fish and anemones but also plenty of soft coral, more edible crab (need a reef hook) and small fish, some different varieties of wrasse and some quite large Ballon Wrasse. But the highlight of the drift for me was a rather large flounder laying on the seabed and it didn't move a mussel as we sailed straight over the top just it's eyes on the top of its head swivelling around as it watched us go by. Then a spider crab with massive legs and the first time I've seen one on the south coast!! Brilliant stuff.

Deffo a dive I need to do again ASAP

If you missed it you missed a blinder of a dive.

Wibble likes this.
  2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

What's Eastbourne like for parking and getting kit to boats? so far on the south coast i've done Plymouth, Portland, Swanage and Newhaven but keen to look at other places like Brighton and Eastbourne.

3. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

It's a good one when the viz is right.
    And despite its age, there is still stuff to be found (not brass, that has long gone!).
    Last time I was on it a chap found a lovely little china cup in almost pristine condition. He was most pissed off though, as he was actually going after a lobster!

@jb2cool : Parking at Eastbourne is brilliant (at least for morning pickups) - loads of space at teh Marina car park, about twenty yards from the Channel Diver pickup point. Much better than Brighton imho.

4. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Free parking at both Brighton and Eastbourne and both right next to moorings, so very good and for me the diving's good (as long as the viz is with you). I prefer the squidge really but like the wrecks as that's where the life is.

I really enjoy the drifts and Saturdays was quite a fast one, couldn't stop to look :)