1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alicante Diving

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Steve Quick, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Steve Quick

Steve Quick New Member

Hi All,

With me living in Cornwall, i live close to Newquay Airport (13miles), they have now since the beginning of this year opened up flights all year round to Alicante. This opens up for me anyway chances of diving abroad outside of the normal what i call Silly Season.

Does anyone have any advice of diving there, locations, shops, Accommodation etc etc.

Much appreciated guys

2. Nutter1979

Nutter1979 New Member

Hi Steve,

If you are looking for a guide I can highly recommend Geoff Ridden of Dive dive dive https://www.dive-dive-dive.eu

He’s about an hour from Alicante.

Cheers

Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Steve Quick

Steve Quick New Member

thanks lee, i will have a look, might heading out there in November for a week.

4. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

I dived down there a few times. Most of it is a while ago, so probably not much use for the operators who are probably not around any more, but might give you an idea on locations. I did a few trip reports:
    https://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/node/31

5. Steve Quick

Steve Quick New Member

is that your website Jason ??

6. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

Yes.

Steve Quick likes this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Up to last year I used to go over to Spain every year, diving out of Javea which is a bit further north from Alicante. There were plenty of dive operators, all of them working in the 'follow the leader' mode. They all require insurance -- Dan is your friend. It seems that they are all pretty well controlled by "the rules of diving".

Once you've had a couple of dives with them they all became a bit more relaxed about allowing you to go off on your own, or at least stay away from the throng of inexperienced holiday divers (yes, I was one some time ago...)

Much of a muchness sums it up quite well.

8. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

There are some nice wrecks, the trouble is they're a bit on the deep, trimix side. Kaycher Diving used to do them, but sadly the owner died and I don't think anyone is now.

9. Steve Quick

Steve Quick New Member

my BSAC membership will cover my insurance won't it :bookworm:

10. Steve Quick

Steve Quick New Member

there is a place close to alicante called Dive Academy Santa Pola, which is not far from the Airport as i don't want to be on a long transfer. I only live 13 miles from Newquay Airport so like the littlest travelling as possible between airports

11. StuartM

StuartM New Member

No, only public liability and then only when taking part in a BSAC activity I believe.

12. Steve Quick

Steve Quick New Member

mmm have the laws changed then, cos when i dived in Gran Canary and Lanzarote they accepted that i was a BSAC member and was covered by the insurance, and didn't have to provide anything else to cover me diving, this was only last year?. The dive shop was a PADI dive school aswell nothing to do with BSAC.

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I'd been told that I'd be covered abroad, but I thought that I'd check. Extract from Q&A of the BSAC cover:

Are we covered for travel arrangements or medical treatment?
    No, you must have separate cover for this – please check the policy wording of any policy carefully as most policies say they cover criminal defence costs in the summary but then expressly exclude this in the policy exclusions.

The BSAC cover is for third party liability only ie if you cause harm to someone else. It only operates if you are diving within your BSAC limits (except in a rescue, when a third party liability would be covered for a greater depth).

So, if you want someone to pick up the bill for a spell in a compression chamber overseas, you better get some personal insurance. In UK, the NHS will treat you for free, so not a problem.

The moral in all this is that you need to read the small print. :smuggrin

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

So the BSAC insurance is pretty pointless, covering only third party and not covering the more likely outcome of a trip to the pot + medical bills.

Dan's Silver cover seems pretty good then, covering the medical bills and for technical diving too.

15. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

No, you've always needed medical insurance in Spain. Be warned that they may also want a medical now.

16. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

According to their website, they have a permit to dive in the Tabarca marine reserve, so you should see plenty of fish. The motorway is pretty good down that way. Doesn't take that long to get around.