1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a bit of a bike ride ... or why I've not been diving

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Col__M, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Hi all .

I am embarking on a bit of a cycle ride on the 24th June.

Starting in Seascale on the West Cumbrian coast, I will be heading through the mountainous Western Lake District and over Hardnott and Wrynoses Pass, through the Yorkshire Dales and the Vale of York, and heading over the North York Moors to finally finish on the East coast in Whitby – a total of 150 miles and just under 15,000 feet of ascent (roughly the height of Mont Blanc, Western Europe’s highest peak).

And all in one day …

Make no mistake, this is a tough ride. :nailbiting:

[​IMG]C2C 2017

I’ve spent a significant amount of time preparing for this event over the last 5 months, racking up just under 2000 miles since January. I’ve also taken part in a number of events as part of my preparation – some in truly miserable conditions! – so whilst it’ll certainly be tough, I’m confident I can get to the end and hopefully in a reasonable time.

This is also why I've been quiet on the diving front ... :(

It wasn’t my intention to do this as a charity ride – I was doing this just for ‘fun’ – but, as so many people have offered to sponsor me (and the wife nagged me), it seemed a shame not to raise a bit of money for a worthwhile cause. So here we are … better late than never.

I’ve set up a Just Giving page (below) and chosen Prostate Cancer UK to be the recipient as it’s a worthwhile men’s health charity and I’ve had some experience of the disease through family and friends – their website is very informative if you want to find out more.

www.justgiving.com/fundraising/McKennaColin

I would be grateful for any contribution you care to make – it all helps. All funds raised will go to the charity – nothing is being used to fund this activity. Please tick the Gift Aid box on their site as the charity gets more money at no extra cost to you.

Thank-you.

Colin

#1 Col__M, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2017
    JohnL, Doomanic and Wibble like this.
  2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

More respect and awe.

Col__M likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Colin, I'd like to donate but those bastards at JustGiving want my personal details.

Can I transfer some money to you and bypass the slurpers? You can then do the giftaid.

Col__M likes this.
  4. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

yes mate (and thank-you very much)

I'll PM you paypal details and I'll donate and giftaid whatever you kindly transfer.

5. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Thanks John.

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Other than the opportunity to pick up a potential donor for other campaigns, they need your details to justify Giftaid. I had forgotten that I had a just giving account and sorted out the lost password. There were two options that I had to untick that would have allowed me to share my experiences with other donors (or some such rubbish). Obviously, I removed these options when I set up the account a couple of years ago and have never been approached - so it works.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I just hate the way that all these companies skim and slurp. It's a simple donation but they want us "users" to set up accounts with them rather than allowing 'anonymous' donations.

8. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    It's. For. Giftaid.

I know you think the whole world revolves around you and your personal data, but it really doesn't.

Andy Stevenson likes this.
  9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Why do I need an account. Giftaid needs my address and name only. Not a bloody email address to spam and a sodding profile to exploit.

I actually do this on websites I build in my professional capacity.

10. Doomanic

Staff Member

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Anyway, that's one hell of a bike ride. I remember doing the South Downs Way in one day years ago and it was hard. But I'm sure this is far harder, not least with the distance.

Why aren't you doing it @Doomanic? You're fitter than a butcher's dog...

12. Doomanic

Staff Member

I would have thought an IT guy would be more clued up to this.

You presumably have @yoursurname email addresses. Set up justgiving@wibbleisaparanoidtwat.fucktard that way you know where the spam, if any, is coming from...

13. Doomanic

Staff Member

Unfortunately, I'm currently fatter than the butcher's sausages after moving away from my regular cycling buddies.

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Of course I do. Or even set up a one-time email.

Just I'm getting bored of this constant intrusion into every part of our online life. Once the account's configured, then you need to clean up all the cookies, temporary files and other detritus they leave around to track you some more.

Funny I mention cookies; just spent the last day developing a solution to problems with sessions on Safari where I suspect people have disabled cookies!

15. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I come from a time when cameras used film, drones were male bees and excel was to be better than expected. I now accept constant surveillance when I'm in towns, GCHQ potentially monitoring my emails and radar traps that automatically send me a speeding ticket. I also accept cars that don't rust to hole in three years, an ability to access the knowledge of the world from my phone and medical advances that can sort out problems that used to be guaranteed killers. If some one wants to monitor what I do, they are going to get bored very quickly; I have to check my bank and credit cards regularly and never press any links that I'm unsure of - if a 70-year-old can cope, you youngsters can.:whistling: And, finally, I think that self-driving cars might come down to a reasonable price about the same time that my licence will be taken away.:)

Big Joe likes this.