1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8acre lake near Hull

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Suffolkmatireland, Dec 4, 2019 at 2:21 PM.

1. Suffolkmatireland

Hi all

So i have been going to Beverley for work recently a fair bit, and have passed 8acre lake every time, and so i googled it. I was wondering if anyone had experience of the place, and if it was worth maybe popping in if i can arrange it while i am in the area?

2. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've not been for a couple of years and I think they've done a fair bit of work on the top side facilities since I last went, but here goes.

In the water max depth is about 16m iirc, theres the usual things in there, a few sunken boats ranging from a small dinghy to a couple of bigger boats, an APC, helicopter, etc. They had a few big concrete pipes laid out as a swimthrough. There was a big plastic shark and it looked like there was a knight in armour going in last time I went. It's not a huge site so easy to see everything in a couple of dives. It gets cold in winter as it's so shallow. I actually did an Ice diving course there a few years back as there was six inch of ice on it. That was good fun.

Vis is mixed. It's a silty bottom, so if its busy it gets stirred up, but in winter it can be pretty good.

Top side, like I say, I think its changed since I last went, but there was some small changing rooms, a small but well stocked shop, it was air fills only, but they were talking about getting nitrox. They had a big cabin to eat in, with tables and chairs, but no cafe as such. You could get tea and coffee and pot noodles and choccy bars in the shop, but that was about it.

Theres not masses of space for parking, but I never saw it that busy, so could always park near the water. None of the parking is that far away tbh, even on the rare occasion I saw someone park outside the gates, theres plenty of entry points to the water.

Staff were always friendly and helpful in my experience. It works on a membership scheme so you have to pay to join (2 years) and then it's quite cheap to get in. Cant remember exactly how much, but I expect it's on their website.

My club are based in Scarborough so it's a regular place for training and practice.

If you're still up that way by end of feb, early March, get in touch if you want a buddy. I live about an hour away from there.

Tim

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk