1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7 Metres to 18 Metres

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by Karen Simpson, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Ahh yes the old Mafia concrete shoes trick.

2. Nick69ga

Nick69ga New Member

Hi

PADI states that you can only dive to the maximum depth in which you have been trained. So it would only be 7m. Obviously nothing to stop you going deeper - no more than an 18m PADI diver deciding to go to 20 meters!

3. snowman

snowman Active Member

Seems quite common practice...

I think OW is 'trained to 18m' even if you've only been 7m... I've certainly never seen it presented any other way. There are some minimum depths for exercises, but once you've passed no centre is going to question how deep you went on your OW Course...

M.

4. minus273degrees

minus273degrees Active Member

I think its almost unlikely from what I've heard that most centres do the max depth ie 18m I think mine was 15m ish

5. CaptainPugwash

CaptainPugwash Active Member

Yes... and the same with the Deep Speciality. I'm not sure of the PADI requirements for the course, but nobody ever seems to go to 40m...

Wibble likes this.
  6. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

That's not quite right, what you're referring to is the PADI statement that you're only certified to dive in conditions similar to which you've been trained in. That has nothing to do with depth, it's about environment. The certification level, OW,AOW, Deep etc that dictates maximum depth, and providing you've met the training standards for each qualification, once certified, you are immediately "permitted" to go to the max depth of that certification.

Whether you should or not is a whole other discussion of course!

Of course if you've learnt to dive in crystal clear, warm blue water conditions, that's not to say you can't dive more challenging environment dives, it just means you should do so with an element of progression, with somebody experienced in those conditions so you get used to the new conditions safely.... it doesn't mean further certification is required!

Wibble likes this.
  7. snowman

snowman Active Member

Indeed - A lot of twaddle is spoken by people who learn to dive in the UK, imo.

It's more challenging diving in cold, murky, green water than crystal clear, warm Red Sea water, but the skills are the same, you just need to build up your experience to deal with the new conditions (Probably not best to do an independent trip to Scapa Flow directly after doing OW/AOW back to back in Sharm, for example).

That's true of any training, any where. It provides you with the knowledge and some practice of using the skills, but only using those skills in a variety of conditions will enable you to master them.

M

Sidemount_Stu likes this.
  8. leehebrides

leehebrides New Member

Most BSAC clubs welcome OW divers , you have been trained to dive to a basic level allowing them just to extend your experience, no Club DO ( diving officer) is going to let you get thrown in to unsuitable dives , it hope if you time it right or can wait the open water dives after the pool and classroom start at 6m and progress from there practicing skill along the way , so they would hopefully let you tag along with theses after all it's in the clubs interest to have safe and well rounded divers.