1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50 bar hand signal

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Dougalsdad01, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Dougalsdad01

Dougalsdad01 Active Member

I've been using a clenched fist as the signal for 50 bar when referring to the pressure in my cylinder, with 150 bar being a T made with 2 hands followed by a clenched fist.

I was told last night that the clenched fist could be confused with the signal for low on air (clenched fist against the chest) and 50 bar is now an open hand with the fingers extended (I hope this is all making sense). So 80 bar would be all 5 fingers extended on one hand with 3 fingers extended on the other (someone will now point out there are only 4 fingers on each hand).

I've tried to find SPG signals in the PADI manual but there is no reference to it at all, so which signal for 50 bar is correct? Is there a reference to it in any PADI manuals?

2. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

IIR your signal is correct and the SPG signal was patting 2 fingers on the palm of your left hand signalled check SPG

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

The signal is whatever is agreed before the dive. 5 fingers works for me for 50 bar

4. mills705

mills705 Member

My dad and I have the tapping of the console to look at pressures, the T hand signal is the only one we use, after that it goes to the number of digits, so fifty would be the whole 4 fingers and thumb up on one side.

5. bottlefish

bottlefish Super dooper member
    UKD Supporter

People still teach clench fist as 50 bar, I have to admit it's one of my pet hates for exactly the reason you mention... this is going to be further confused by us techies using a raised clenched fist as a stop/hold signal.

So I'd suggest teaching 5 digits up for 50 bar being more sensible. But whatever you teach, the mist important thing is to agree the signs you're going to use before the dive, especially if you're diving someone new. Provided you're all speaking the same language, it doesn't really matter...

6. Ding

Ding Member

When diving abroad most seem to give clench fist for 50 and the T with two hands for 100 bar. If you have 80 bar clenched fist and then three fingers up. But as I dive a YBOD I check before I go in and when I'm out.

7. divewench

divewench Well-Known Member

Either works in Indonesia, I personally use the open handed version!

Best though are the Asian divers who, when asked how much air they have, give you the 'I'm OK' signal back. It's infuriating! I'm not asking if you're OK, I wanna know how much bloody air you have, before you swim up to me with just 30 bar.

Seems to be common practice for Singaporians and Malaysians, doh!

TonyUK likes this.
  8. nomorefear

nomorefear New Member

It seems they just do not know proper signal to reply))

9. divewench

divewench Well-Known Member

Guests are always reminded of the hand signals in the dive briefing, just seem to conveniently 'forget' once underwater :scared:

10. nomorefear

nomorefear New Member

I guess it is part of eastern mentalitet-surely they are not going to be run of air under water)

11. Badger

Badger Member

The best signal for 50 bar is a hand wave to the boat skipper....

Andy Hartley likes this.
  12. Major Clanger

Major Clanger P-Plated Meg Diver

Clenched fists, 5 fingers and whatever is all well and good until this time year when you realize your buddy is wearing 3 finger cold water mitts where he can't do either. So, I guess it comes down to looking at their gauge to be certain.

13. Badger

Badger Member

Or an extended thumb, that's another great way to show everyone you have 50 bar

14. bottlefish

UKD Supporter

Not exactly helpful Badger! Cast your mind back to the early days, how were you taught to sign 150 bar?

15. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

Every dive instructor or guide that I have so far dived with - UK, Oz, Phuket, Red Sea, Maldives, Bermuda, Cozumel, Malta etc have asked us to use the T plus numbered fingers for 100+ bar, T for 100 bar and a clenched fist for 50 bar. Therefore, holding up 5 fingers might be mistaken for a signal of 150 bar, the other diver wrongly assuming that he/she missed the 'T' signal.

As far as I know, the correct signal for 'low on air' is to gently thump or briskly rub the open hand - fingers not necessarily spread out - against one's chest.

16. bottlefish

UKD Supporter

The low on air sign is standard, clenched fist against chest at the agreed pressure (have a look in your ow manual....).

The op was aimed at the upper end though, I.e how to signal 150 bar. Some people combine the T with a clenched fist.

17. Dougalsdad01

Dougalsdad01 Active Member

The odd thing though is that I can find no reference to the signal in any of the manuals I have.

18. roundyuk

roundyuk Member

Interesting.... http://www.ukdivers.net/comms/signals.htm

Repeat clenched fist for 100 bar...

19. Badger

Badger Member

OK, fair cop. I was taught to point to my gauge. T was for half a tank.

If someone asked me how much gas I had now I would tap two fingers on an open palm then a hooked forefinger for 'question' then right hand fingers for 1,2,3 etc then a thumb/finger 'zero' (or whatever combo)

20. TekkieGirl

TekkieGirl New Member

We (tech divers) use one hand for hand signals - for example if you are holding a line in a cave or hold a torch...

Asking for air is making a fist and pretend you're sqeezing/pumping something. In recreational diving a fist means 50 bar or reserve. A fist in e.g. cave diving means 'hold' to your buddy. So the pumping/sqeezing is important.

The amount of air left is used, lets say 50 bar, is all 5 fingers and than making a zero with all fingers (not like the ok signal)

Hope this helps