1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 - who's doing what?

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by Wibble, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

But I wouldn’t want to enjoy it @JohnL !

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

This, in spades.

Most reef diving is utter shite. Palau is the only place where I've actually enjoyed it but only for a couple of dives as the wrecks there are great. I'm sure I'd enjoy somewhere like Galapagos for a day or two but the Red Sea reefs I dived on were 'meh' to say the least.

Having said that, there is great wreck diving to be done in the Red Sea, so no need to do dull stuff at all.

3. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Active Member

I went red sea for first time this year. I had high expectations from the story's j have heard about amazing fish life and reefs. But I also thought it was crap. But the wrecks on the other hand are good. But not the normal wrecks that all the Scooby doos dive. All about the deeper stuff. I doing the deep south this year

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. John F

John F Active Member

Off to Cornwall for two weeks on Saturday, if anyone fancies a few dives at Porthkerris.

5. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

half way through the year, and I'm doing really well with this..

so far ticked off:

none :(

although - I am booked with Skin Deep to do the M2 on Aug 1st, and the club trip back to Kyle has been organised, so the return trip to Port Napier is on the cards as well...

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Was it all cancellations, or life getting in the way?

7. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

53 dives so far this year.

But, given that I've been in Scapa for the past 12 weeks, that's not very many. I rarely do more than one dive per day normally though.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  8. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

mostly other stuff getting in the way annoyingly...

I've only managed 2 dive trips so far this year...

9. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It is a tough life and I admire your resolve in sticking it out on those same old 100 years old wrecks.

This year has been the slowest start for a years and I've managed only 23 dives so far, much lower that previous years covering, about a dozen different wrecks, one shore dive and a bunch of scallops runs.

Yesterday saw the rescue of the largest crab I've found (3.375kg) and I've rescued a few hundred scallops, some in the freezer, some eaten and some given away.

I may have done less dives @nickb but I'm sure my scallop tally is higher and I may have dived more different wrecks. I'll not get into comparing the quality of the wrecks, especially given your January target, as the most significant I've done was HMS Boadicea on Saturday, although the Avalanche is signifiant locally with the church on Avalanche Road bing dedicated to the wreck.