1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 - UKD trip "abroad"?

Discussion in 'Organised Diving Trips' started by Wibble, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

You'll never know what you are missing... :D

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'm just about able to put weight back on my ankle following last weekend's shenanigans! Not tried putting a shoe on yet but the swelling is going down... Only got a week and then it's up to Oban for a week's diving. Hope my frog kick's up to it

3. sam51

sam51 Member

come on guys a live aboard to egypt. fantastic diving, and a 5 hour flight to hughada, for all round diving the place in the world.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  4. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

Do the Faroud late. We rocked up about 3, all the dive centre buses were long gone.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Isn't the journey an utter ball-ache, you'll loose half your dive kit, can't take batteries for the torches and all get Delhi belly?

Im sure the diving will be wonderful but getting there and back kills the joy?

6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

They are still offering direct flights into Hurghada.
    I've never lost any kit in 5 trips there
    Not sure about torch batteries, I have heard some stories but my umbilical has NiMh so aren't restricted.
    You are more likely to get dehydration related runs than actual Delhi belly in my experience. In all our trips I was the only one of us to ever suffer yet we all ate the same food.

7. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Been out there as part of a group of 7/8 and not had any troubles apart from some minor officialdom and a computer breakdown.

8. nickb

nickb Active Member

You’d hate Truk then. And don’t even think about going to Bikini Atoll

9. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Forgot to say that's three years running.

10. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

I read that as Motor Torpedo Boat.... now that would be fun!

Doomanic likes this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What's a good Red Sea itinerary then? Would it cater for different diving levels?

12. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

North and Brothers is pretty much a standard routing that will provide a good mix of rust and squidge, with the chance of hammerheads ("They were here last week.") and other big stuff.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What's the overall cost like when compared with, for example, Malta or Canaries?

Do most boats cater for twinsets or sidemount? Stages with O2? Do they leave you alone or insist on you being dragged around as a group?

14. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

I've done Northern Reefs and Wrecks including some great dives on the Thistlegorm (including a night dive when I was one of only six divers in the water) and South and St John's. Both a mix, although less wrecks to the south. Only had recreational divers on board and mainly left to our own devices. The night dive on the Thistlegorm there wasn't a guide in the water. All three times with Emperor. Free nitrox which made a difference. I would (and probably will) dive with them again. Very relaxed. Other liveaboards also have good reviews. Our overall cost worked out about £950 -£1000 per diver including flights. Normally they have discounts for groups. We got one diver free for every five booked and split the saving between all of us.

15. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

Malta is a great option for combination of weather, travel and cost as well as dive sites..... I used New Dimension Scuba (NDS) 2 years running and found them to be excellent, very hospitable, reliable, well run and excellent guides too.

Red Sea Liveaboard, i've only used Blue o Two, they were faultless, and had a brilliant itinerary, Best of Wrecks which was suitable for all levels for the most part. Guides were good, briefings good and you could be as guided, or self reliant as you wanted, once the dive guide had assessed you and was happy with your ability.

16. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Sitting in Malta airport typing. Did eight dives this week, deepest 37m (don't tell PADI :whistling:). Wonderful topography due to the crumbly limestone, not a lot of fish. We were at Paradise diving, just next to the Gozo ferry - friendly, well-run centre with a 50 yard walk and onto their jetty and into the boats. Furthest site we went to was 10 minutes. Management also enjoyed Malta. Trip report will follow.

Tribal Chestnut, Vanny and Wibble like this.
  17. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Me & the misses did Malta years ago. Really enjoyed it, somehow not been back. Remember a lot of shore diving which I don't mind but the wife doesn't enjoy, prob why we didn't go back I guess! Diving was good thou, we managed to do the Blenheim bomber , think that was it, plane in about 42 mtrs. Stunning dive , one that I won't forget. Partly due to the rowing boat ride out, but that's another story.

18. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

I go every year to the Red Sea and have never had an issue.

19. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Red Sea is an option although it would need to be a rust dominated schedule for me to commit - fish just don't do it for me.

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Where do you go, who with, what sort of diving, any kit issues flying?

What's the accommodation like?