1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 - UKD trip "abroad"?

Discussion in 'Organised Diving Trips' started by Wibble, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Chimpus

Chimpus New Member

Went to Gozo last month on family holiday and really enjoyed it. We did ten dives during the visit, all shore dives but boat dives were available. Dived on the north, west and south of the island, but as @Doomanic said, being so small it doesn't take long to get anywhere.
    Lots of marine life and wrecks too. Loved it.

We stayed in Gharb on the NW side of the island. Fairly quiet, but that suited us :)

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Which dive shop did you use? Did you just rent the tins and take them away, or go on their guided dives?

And did you notice if they had twinsets for rent (especially white, non-faber, ones!)?

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I don't really do scenic dives, I like rusty metal so that's pretty much all I do, unless the skipper chucks us in downstream from the wreck...

I've only ever stayed in Buggiba because it's dead cheap, esp out of season as it's full of ex-pats who winter there for £50/week...

Paceville/St Juliens has the best nightlife but it's a bit Benidorm, Sliema is the poshest.

Maltaqua are in St Paul's, which is right by Buggiba, (in fact, the last time I stayed they were two minutes away from my hotel) but I've always used Divewise/Techwise because they actually answered my emails the first time I ever went to Malta. Both support tec/rebreathers.

It is supposedly fairly simple to do your own thing in Malta, but whether that's the same with twinsets and stages I don't know. Techwise are usually pretty busy.
    I also don't know how easy it is to get on a boat if you're not with a dive centre and how fussy they are about certs out there when diving unaccompanied.

Wibble likes this.
  4. nickb

nickb Active Member

Maltaqua are good and they have some nice apartments nearby. Last time I went we got our support from them and dived with Kevin Vella - Galaxy Charters.

There are some magnificent wrecks there. The Polynesian and Southwold are world-class.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Need a mod 2 for those wrecks... :droid:

Look like great dives though

6. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Personal opinion: St Pauls is a shithole, and the dodgy rocky entry at Cirkewwa had me properly throwing my toys out of the pram.
    And don't forget that one would not want recognised as the "leader" of any dive group in Malta... which rather leaves one to be diving with a commercial operation with a professional guide.

Friends have told me that Gozo is nice, though.

7. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Nope, you just need a mod 2 if you plan to dive within your ticket. For some of those wrecks you might need mod 3 (Polynesian can be more than 60m) :)

However, not all feel that fussed as last year I spotted mod 2 divers at 87m and this year saw mod 1 dives at 60m and there are load of folk who've been diving for years with no ticket.
    (I'm well behaved as I have mod 3 ticket :) )

8. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

Dodgy rocky entry? Where did you get in? The entry for the Rozi is a giant stride off of flat concrete and the best entry for the P29 has steps. With the possible exception of the Faroud, it's the easiest entry point there.

#28 JasonP, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2017
  9. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Not sure if this was in jest or not but it is actually something that I have raised within my BSAC club following a suggestion of a visit to Malta. I'm not sure I would eve want to be the most experienced person in a buddy pair or team.

10. furryman

furryman hmmmm

Definitely NOT in jest.

I must have been imagining the 20 yard walk out over slippery, submerged clints and grykes that had me terrified of turning an ankle (or worse) encumbered as I was with with an RB and a stage.

Or maybe it was another entry point by the ferry terminal to Gozo.

And I agree, the Faroud is easy... it's the climb back up the hill that is the killer (perfect time to dial the ppO2 up to 0.9)!

#30 furryman, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  11. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

If you were doing either of the wrecks. You got in the wrong place.

12. Dave Whitlow

I recall doing a stride entry for Rozi/P29 but the exit was into a pool that was like a washing machine (it was crap weather) with some dodgy steps out. We covered them both on the same dive, although didn't much look at the wrecks as were busy swapping stages around, bailing out, and other daft ideas some troublemaker dreamed up (we were doing mod 2 at the time).

Faroud is an easy entry and exit but Heart-attack Hill isn't so nice once you get out of the water if your transport is parked some way up the hill!

There is a proper dive boat in Malta these days, as Divetime was shipped there from Portland last year. Not sure who runs it but it is fast catamaran with a lift on the back and is very yellow!

13. furryman

furryman hmmmm

Tell that to Mark Powell...

14. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

What does he know..............oh!

15. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Off to Malta in May, so maybe Canaries instead? Egypt would also be of interest.

Long weekend or short week would suit best and would need to structure around childminding etc.

I also fancy a trip to the Farnes to see those fucking horrid creatures, but that'd be a family trip so subject to the monstrous midget being experienced/comfortable enough.

I'll watch the thread and see what you lot eventually decide upon before committing.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is that anything like access to Dinas mine - 1km and 1:3 path up ~60 metres?

Farnes is good late Aug early Sept. Would happily do that again.

Would probably be great for mini-you; she'll either love it or hate it! Probably the former.

Problem is the accommodation. Although there's a lovely pub/inn/hotel right on Seahouses harbour.

Yeah, right!

17. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Stayed in a good B&B before, can't for the life of me remember the name though.

18. Dave Whitlow

Nope, or I'd never contemplate going down the hill. That kind of trek is for nutters! If I want to test my endurance I'll do a (sprint) triathlon! I'll let you know how I get on.

19. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I wouldn't be interested in a Canaries diving trip. A Canaries MTB trip, on the other hand...

Timing is important too; I have a pink pass for Easter so that's when I'm planning on going somewhere and doing something.

20. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

Looks like I won't be holidaying with @Doomanic then.

Not sure if that is good or bad though?